Monday, October 18

Things that I won't take for granted...

Being here for ten weeks has taught me a lot, now that I take the time to actually think about. There's a lot of things here that I find odd and a little disconcerting but there's also some things that I really like. For instance, not having a car is amazing! I am not a fan of driving on the best of days because it involves other people being on the road. Here, it's not a problem, because my main concern is not getting mowed down by some psychotic Italian driver. You may think I'm being harsh, but it's like a battle every time you have to cross a street here. A game of chicken might be a better analogy, except for the "game" part. If you show no fear and bravely walk out into the street into oncoming traffic you'll be fine, if you wait, you'll be fine, but if you hesitate and do that silly dance of "Should I go? Oh, no, better thought, I'll wait" you'll be dead. It's terrifying, but if I learn nothing else, I've learned how to cross a street. With most of my limbs attached.

Another strange thing about being here is that the main transportation are scooters or Vespas. Yes, I know Vespa is a brand, but they are everywhere. People just zoom by on them, disregarding anyone and everyone's safety. And there's so many smart cars here. You know what I'm talking about, those super tiny cars that look like roller skates for giants. They park those cars however they can get them to fit. Seriously, I've seen someone back it in to a parallel parking spot along a road, and it fit. I don't know what they have to do to get their driver's license here, but apparently it involves some intense military drilling, complete with bombs going off and, oh yeah, nerves of steel. I've never even heard of a crash here. Thankfully I don't have to drive here. I'd wet my pants!

I'm going to be so happy when I get home and can go to sleep in a bed bigger than a twin bed. Stretching out while sleeping, how I've missed you! And having the choice between Italian food and anything else. At all. Like a sandwich that doesn't involve marinara and mozzarella. The food here is delicious, but I need diversity! I'm from the land of diversity! I need choices! I may sound like an arrogant American, but as of right now, I'm okay with that. And in the restaurants here, there is no tipping, there's something called "coperto" which is the cover charge. Or a blanket, depending on where you are, I guess. Either way, that's how you pay for the glassware, the silverware, the plates and the service. It's nice, but I like to dictate what I leave for a tip. If the service is good, you can leave five to ten percent extra, but you have to hand it to them.

This trip has really helped me to understand myself better as well as other people and other cultures. There's so much poverty here, especially around the main tourist sites. It's interesting to see how beautiful it is, but at the same time how truly dirty and awful it can be. There's a lot of theft and pickpockets. I've seen a man missing both legs and an arm sitting outside of the Vatican begging for change. I've seen a young man with his small brother playing instruments to try and get money. The expressions on their faces were terrible, completely devoid of life or happiness. It seemed like they were literally living from minute to minute, their only concern being how to get their next meal. I've also seen multiple people using skateboards as makeshift wheelchairs. Their legs don't work and they wear shoes on their hands to protect them from the dirty streets, pushing themselves around. There's also women walking around begging while holding their babies with fake arms, while the real one is rummaging around in your purse or pockets. In the States, our poverty doesn't seem to have reached that level of desperation, either that or I haven't seen enough of it. It really makes you think about how lucky we are as Americans, even if we are egotistical as a whole and disenchanted with our government most of the time. We still have the freedom and the right to be. It's incredible how proud I have become to be born in the States and how lucky I am to take this trip. It really has made me seen the best parts and the worst parts of our culture.