Monday, October 11

Pompeii, Sorrento, Vico Equense, Mt. Vesuvius and the Amalfi Coast all in one weekend!




We had a busy, busy weekend! We stayed in Vico Equense in Southern Italy which is really close to both Sorrento and Pompeii. We took a trip to Pompeii and climbed Mt. Vesuvius all in one day! It was amazing. We saw the people trapped in the ash from the explosion of Mt. Vesuvius in 79 CE. We walked through the city and saw the ruins and the gardens and the murals. It was intense. There's even tiled floor in there that's nicer than most of the places we stayed in. That might be exaggerating, but you get the point.

Mt. Vesuvius was incredible. It wasn't really what I expected, but then again I expected to be able to see lava or something, which seems kind of ridiculous. But then again, when have I been around a volcano? On the short hike up there we saw a road of cobblestone-like material that was broken up and roped off. I can only hope that it is really old and not something silly. We could see all over the southern coast of Italy and into Naples. Absolutely incredible views. The bus ride up and down was probably more terrifying than knowing that we were on a volcano. The bus driver actually accelerated downhill. What is that? I saw a grown man almost start to cry. But of course, being terrified of Italian driving is now nothing new. I swear they must go to stunt driving school. They must all have nerves of steel! Anyway, I digress, again.

Saturday we spend the day in the Amalfi Coast. The water teal and you could see through it. The only bad part was the pebble beaches. My feet still hurt from walking over it barefoot! I don't understand how people can even go to those beaches without shoes on. They must have cloven hooves for feet. Regardless, after we passed out on the beach for a while, we caught the bus back and had dinner in Sorrento and shopped. I got a new pair of boots and three new long sleeve shirts, which I'm in desperate need of because the weather here is extremely chilly and I was ill-prepared. Such a great weekend and so beautiful!