Wednesday, October 6

Pienza




We took a day trip to a small town near Montepulciano called Pienza. It had reconstructive work done to it in the 1500's, I think. Don't quote me. Pope Pius II, a famous Sienese, was the leading force behind the face lift. It was a really interesting city. It's very small, just like Montepulciano, but it's far less hilly, which was a major plus. You think after walking uphill both ways to school everyday would make me feel like I'm in better shape, but no, I don't.

While we were in Pienza we had a chance to take a really cheap guided tour of the Piccolomini Palace. It was really interesting and we had some really great views of the surrounding landscape from the Hanging Gardens and from the balcony. In the palace there was even a tiny room that's main purpose was for trysts. Very scandalous, especially since it was in the library. There was one room that looked like a great hall and was filled with weapons from different centuries, from evil looking stuff from the ancient days to WWII items. According to the guide, this is the room where they entertained Nazis, bribing them and such. There were crests of the Piccolomini family everywhere, in the church, in the piazza, on the buildings and the paintings, everywhere. I've never seen someone other than I tyrant brand something that much with their own symbol of power. I think he wanted everyone to know who this city belonged to. As if the name didn't give it away. Pienza is a combination of Pius (the pope) and Siena, which is where he is from. Subtlety, that's what his specialty was. The museum was also taking down Da Vinci exhibit that highlighted all of his machinery. I wish I could have seen that, I'm a little upset that we missed it.

Overall, it was a really informative and interesting trip and it's only about 30 minutes away by bus. I think I'm going to have to go back if I get time.